- That’s fine. I don’t have any shame about the nudity, though in America it is a much bigger deal than in Europe, because in America you can do as much violence as you like, but people don’t like nudity, and in Europe you can have as much nudity as you want, but no violence. It is very interesting, how different countries have various theories about what’s good and what’s offensive. For myself, I just want to tell a story in the right way, and we have got a story about the family, which lives in poverty not like glamorous Ridley.
In Beautiful Creatures it took up to two hours of Makeup every day for Ridley, while for Shameless I need five minutes. So it is just a different kind of character with certain feelings. The way Fiona Gallagher is written looks very smart. I mean, more scenes are taking place in the bathroom than in any other show on TV ever. Though it is a very realistic thing: you live with your family, where you are brushing your teeth, taking your shower and thinking about what things you need to store, it is a very realistic show about a kind of poverty in that way showing definitive circumstances along the way.
- What movie projects are you involved in right now?
- I just came back from several activities, and I’d like a vacation now but I’ve recently finished filming in the movie You’re Not You (2013) with Hilary Swank that will come out later this year, and I’ve just recorded a music album titled Sentimental Journey, which was released in January, 2013. It is filled with my favorite songs from the 1920s up to the 1960s, like Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby and beyond. That’s enough for me!
- Are you still attached to the planned title Way Down South?
- I have no idea what is happening with it, we were supposed to make it like five times but I don’t think it is getting ready to be filmed yet.
- What would you advise to young people willing to pursue an acting career?
- Don’t! [Laughs]. No. Play anything, if you really love it, you should do it, no matter how many people say you fail or not good, or not gonna make it, there are people showing not so good skills at a certain time, but later on then can develop a brilliant career. That’s really important, what makes yourself happy, not what others say about it. Then just study and watch all the movies you could find, read some books about it, you have to study as hard as you can, and then you get better with doing it more and more.
- Were there any roles you regret rejecting?
- I think, no. Usually there aren’t any, because I have got an instinct based on the character, even if the script changes a lot, the character doesn’t change that much, so usually not. Also I didn’t audition for The Twilight, and I don’t regret that because that was not what I was looking for at the time.
- What Oscar nominees are you betting?
- I like Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012), I think, it was a brilliant movie, I really like, how the director Benh Zeitlin told a story from the girl’s perspective played by Quvenzhané Wallis, I also like Argo (2012) and Zero Dark Thirty (2012), and that’s it.
Read on further to get an insight on the Russian origins of Emmy Rossum.